City Attorney - Jonathan Sbar  (715)732-5149

Attorney Assistant - Louise Stemper (715)732-5150

Frequently Asked Questions:

Are Municipal violations criminal matters?

No. Municipal Ordinance violations are civil forfeiture actions and are noncriminal in nature.

Do I need a lawyer in Municipal Court?

No, you do not. You are entitled to a lawyer at your own expense. However, you are not required to hire a lawyer, and most municipal defendants appear without attorneys.

Can a lawyer be appointed for me if I cannot afford one?

No. Public Defendants do not appear in noncriminal matters in Municipal Court.

What if I plead not guilty to a violation?

If you plead Not Guilty , you will be given a date and time for Pretrial. At the Pretrial, you will meet with an Assistant City Attorney to discuss the charge and attempt to reach a resolution. If the matter cannot be resolved, a Trial is scheduled.

What if I have a complaint regarding a Police Officer?

Complaints of this nature should be reported to the Police Department for investigation and resolution

If I have an attorney, can I still talk with the City Attorney's Office?

Generally, no. It is an ethical violation for an attorney to communicate directly with a defendant who is represented by counsel. If you choose to hire a lawyer, the City Attorney's Office will direct all communication to your counsel

What type of advice or counsel can I get from the City Attorney's Office?

The City Attorney is the attorney for the corporate entity of the City of Marinette. The City Attorney may provide factual information and procedural guidance regarding the handling and disposition of municipal citations. The Office cannot, however, provide legal advice on these or other matters.

What is the distinction between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?

Generally, the District Attorney prosecutes criminal matters under State Statutes. The City Attorney is employed by the City to provide legal advice and guidance on municipal matters and to prosecute Municipal Ordinance violations in the City's Municipal Court.